Thursday, May 2, 2013

Secret Hiding Place

Today I want to talk about secret hiding places of kids.  Not the kind of places kids like to hide themselves, but places they like to stash things when they think no one is looking.  For instance, Sarah has taken to shoving things down one corner of her bed.  There is a small triangle at the corner of her bed just big enough for her to shove her paci and blankie down.  So whenever we are having a hard time finding a pacifiers, I know I can recover at least (5) if I look in that corner, along with a blankie or two or three.  I'm not sure why she feels the need to put things there but she does.  I know it's not always a game, because she'll do it in her sleep then get upset she can't find her pacifer to put herself back to sleep.  This little habit is no big deal.  Every kid has their quirks and this is one of hers.  I've learned to put extras on her chest so in the middle of the night I can grab a new one and not have to try to find the one she's managed to lose in the 4 hours since I laid her in bed.  I can even see the draw of putting things down that triangular hole.  I mean if I were a kid I might think it's magic.  They go in there and somehow find their way to mom a few days later.  Pretty neat.

But this is not the only hiding place of Sarah's.  This is just her paci and blankie hiding place.  She likes to hide bear behind her bookcase.  Her bookcase is slender and made with pockets, so it's easy for Mr. Bear to fit between the wall and the shelf.  But rest assured, if you can't find Mr. Bear just look under the bookcase, or sometimes in her high chair if he happened to get hungry when they were playing.  But again, this doesn't bother me.  She has her reason's for putting things in odd places.  Just like at my mom's she likes to throw things away because the lid to their trash can swivels and she can't see the top, so it's just fun to watch the top swish about for a few minutes.  This is especially true of her shoes.  Don't ask why, because I don't know.  But if I can't find a shoe, it's always in the trash.  (We're discouraging hiding place though, because trash goes bye bye for good, and someday I'm sure she'll put something in there we won't know about and it will just be gone.)  This hiding place kind of bothers me, but not really because we know to look in the trash anytime she is playing around it.  But there is another place that I don't understand and that I don't know whether it's funny or bothersome... (definately more funny... on second thought)

You see one of Sarah's hiding places has become my shirt.  And before I go on, I should let you all know that Sarah has a habit of putting her arm down my shirt at least 50-75% of the time when I pick her up.  She's perfected it to be such a smooth motion, that I don't even notice it.  I guess it's some sort of comfort thing.  It's never bothered me, and she doesn't seem to do it to anyone else, so whatever, no biggie.  (Now, the pulling of my shirt neckline in public is problem, and I am trying to break that habit... but that's generally when she wants me to hold her instead of riding and I'm getting off subject...) 

So the other day I went home at lunch time to see Sarah for a bit.  I don't get a lot of face time with her during the week, so I like to spend my lunch break with her.  Well, she was going to go for an outing that afternoon and I was in charge of dressing her.  So I did and her hair has gotten just long enough to put a cute little bow in it.  So I did.  She looked adorable!  But then I let her go play while I ate and Mike got them ready to go.  So as we are all getting ready to leave I notice she didn't have her bow anymore.  So I went to find it. I searched and I searched, but I couldn't find it.  I gave up and everyone went on their way, me back to office, Mike and Sarah off to wherever they were going.  I proceeded to work the rest of the afternoon.  As I am finishing up for the day I go to the restroom, as I am washing my hands I look in the mirror and notice that shirt doesn't look right... what is going on?  Well you guessed it.  I had a cute little white bow resting on my bra. OH MY GOSH!  I have been walking around all afternoon with a bow poking out awkwardly from my bra under my shirt.

Well played Sarah.  Well played.

You have to admit it's pretty genius to hide a bow there, it's the last place I would think look.  Anyway, this was just the first thing I found down my shirt.  I have since found cheerios, a magnet, her blankie, pacifiers, etc. down there.  It varies in degrees as to when I find them.  The blankie I found pretty quickly, the paci I didn't give back (um, yes daughter, I will gladly make any paci you give me disappear until nap time or bedtime).  Some I haven't found until I changed clothes at the end of the night.  It's crazy!  And like I said, she has put her arm down my shirt for as long as I can remember, so I just don't notice her doing it.  But yeah, that's another one of Sarah's secret hiding places.  So now I'm curious, do your kids hide things in weird places?  Thanks for checking in on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment