Thursday, November 7, 2013

Our Top Halloween Toddler Books

In my last post, I talked about how I went out and bought a bunch of Halloween books for Sarah.  It took a lot of searching to find good toddler books for a kid Sarah's age (20 months, in October, she's 21 months now).  Especially since I was relying on books lots from ebay and whatever happened to be at our local thrift stores.  So, I wanted to share a few of the books that Sarah seemed to really enjoy, and I'll explain why she enjoyed them.




This book was instantly a hit with Sarah, she really enjoys the interaction of slide and find.  Each page presents the toddler with a new activity.  Some focus on riddles to figure out what is hiding, some ask you to count how many things are on the page.  Sarah loved that every page was different.







This book is a simple little board book that is basically the five little pumpkin poem, and let's face it, what kid doesn't like that poem right!? But the illustrations are super cute in this version and Sarah loved just love it.








This little book is a great transitional book that is somewhere between a board book and regular page book, so just be aware if your child is younger or is rough on books.  This is another book that rhymes and is a little repetitious, which is great because the child learns to anticipate what is coming and can "help" you read.  It also has a different surprise for the child on each page.  For example, one is a lift the flap, one is a curved mirror.  So Sarah really enjoyed reading this one!






This was one of the few books I paid more for, but we love the Stinky Face books!  The original makes a regular appearance in our bedtime reading sessions.  This one is a little longer, so I know that not all 20 month olds could sit through it, but it is super cute and imaginative.









This was the first Halloween book that was a big hit with Sarah.  I think it had the best explanation of dressing up, trick or treating, and all that.  It is a paper book, but the illustrations are adorable (a little old fashioned) and it's just plain cute.








This has got to be the simplest book ever (and it's tiny). It's literally a picture book that has a few sounds of Halloween spelled out, example picture of a witch with "cackle" written above.  But Sarah thought it was so funny when I would do the noises.  This is also the first book I caught Sarah "reading" to herself.  It was so stinking cute!  So this had to make into my top toddler Halloween books!




We had quite a few other Halloween books, some of them were good for showing actual kids with painted faces, some were cute stories, a lot were what you would expect of a toddler book on Halloween.  I really think it helped to talk about all the things she was seeing when we were out and about at stores or friends homes or whatnot.  We did a lot of talking about pretend and letting her feel decorations that were scary looking.  She loved pointing out black cats, skeletons, pumpkins, etc. and I think the books really helped with naming those things that aren't normally around and explaining things like trick or treating and pumpkin carving.  So if you have a little one, I would highly suggest throwing some good books into rotation for the month of October.  I think it made a world of difference!

Now that Halloween is over, I've put up all of the Halloween specific books, but kept the fall/autumn books out and added some Thanksgiving books to the mix to get her ready for the next Holiday.  I just put them out over the weekend, so I'm not sure which ones will come out as favorites.  I'll try to do an update after Thanksgiving to let you know which were the front runners.  Do your kids love books?  Do you try to spice things up around the holiday's and add some festive books to the mix?  Let me know ~ thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment