Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Ch-Ch-Ch Changes

Okay, so I know I've not done a good job at. all. of even trying to blog through out this pregnancy.  But let's just say that life is hard and busy right now.  I'm completely out of head space to devote to things like a blog at this stage of our lives.  But I did want to write down all the things going on in our lives right now, just so that when I look back I can keep perspective and not beat myself up for not writing as much (or at all).

So first things first.  Pregnancy wise I am now 32 weeks.  I have also been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.  So starting this week I'm going to be having ultrasounds every week to check the function of the placenta, because GD is centered all around the placenta and how it is functioning.  I'll also be going to a high risk doctor every other week to start having growth scans on the baby, because again, GD causes any excess sugar in me to be passed onto baby and the baby then takes that sugar and converts it into excess fat that will cause her to be bigger than she should be for her developmental age.  Along with my ob and high risk doctor I've also been given a nutritionist to try to control the diabetes through diet.  So far, I've been able to get things under control with diet alone, but as I've been told over and over again, that could change as I get closer to delivery. So fingers crossed that all of these upcoming scans are good and that little miss will stay in there until May.  Which I should mention that if the placenta stops functioning correctly we may need to look at having her early, also if she gets too big, that may be a factor into what is the best option for baby.  But for now we are just chugging along with a special diet and food log and blood sugar testing 4 times a day.

(Disclaimer: This is just my understanding of our situation, I am by no means an expert and am relaying things as I understand them)

Next big thing going on in our lives is that we are moving.  Out of state. (But it's only four hours away)  Mike has been offered this really great opportunity at his company that would allow for me to stay at home with the girls, which has always been the dream.  So we have been working toward this goal for awhile now and it's all coming together in April.  We've found a good transition house that we signed a lease on last week and will be moving the bulk of our stuff the first weekend in April.  We are pushing hard to get the house set up before 36 weeks, because my doctor does not want me further than an hour away at that point.  (And I don't really want to be traveling back and forth at the point either).  So when we were looking at moving with a newborn versus moving pregnant, pregnant seemed way easier since she's still contained and won't need my time and attention as much right now.  The basic plan is to move all the stuff down and set it up, then be back to our old area to have the baby and for a couple weeks of recovery.  I'm not changing doctors at this point and we have an extensive support system here that has been generous in offering to let us stay while we wait and recover.  (Also, I'm sure this goes without saying, but I am not moving all the stuff, we have men coming to do that, I'll be doing the packing/unpacking and directing of furniture)

Along the lines of us moving,  I am currently working my last full week.  The company I work for is amazing and the only reason I'd want to leave this job is to stay at home with the kids.  So that makes leaving very bittersweet.  I love my co-workers and the work that I do.  I will still be working some throughout April when I'm in town to catch up any work that needs to be done and to train my replacement, but it won't be the same after this week.  It's been such a joy to work for a company that values it's employees and has been a relatively low stress job.  I'll be sad to leave because I know what a diamond in the rough I've been blessed with. (My job before this being horrible!)

We've also had a lot going on in our extended family lives.  We were blessed with the arrival a new nephew.  My brother and sister in law welcomed their second baby boy on Monday March 21st.  His arrival has a been a source of celebration among everything else.

Unfortunately we also lost my Grandpa last week.  He was 87 years old and had been diagnosed with cancer a short time ago.  There is a lot heartache surrounding his passing, none of which I will be blogging about, but I know the heartache will take a long time to heal.  So please say a prayer for my family as we start to work through the grief.

So yeah, all the many many details of Gestational Diabetes, combined with all the details of moving, combined with busy schedules and general life, my head space is gone.  I'm doing good to remember to set up trash services at the new house (wait, I haven't done that yet, better write myself a note).  So not to be making excuses, but life is busy busy busy!!

So I'll try to get some more posts up in the near(ish) future, but I'm not going to make any promises.  Hope you are all doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment