Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Finally... A Nursery Vision

I have been struggling with coming up with a clear vision of what I wanted the baby's nursery to look like.  I knew I didn't want to do anything that is too mainstream right now, which is tending to be on the outdoorsy / woodland creature / owl side.  Not that those aren't adorable, because they are, I just have seen several friends have the same category of nursery.  And while I may get some criticism for the direction I'm taking, I'm happy with how it will look (if it comes out anything like the vision in my head...)

So on my quest come up with something cute and a little outside of the box, my parents offered me some artwork they purchased when we were little and didn't use.  There are three limited edition prints by Ron Rodecker, a southern California artist who does dragon drawings/watercolors.  He is also responsible for the drawings on the PBS show Dragon Tales.  These particular prints are from a different line and all feature a whimsical dragon and balloons.  Here is my favorite of the three:



As you can see there are lots of colors in the print to choose from, but I still struggled with how to pick out bedding and wall color etc. 

Then last week my mom and I went to start our baby registry and none of the options at the store were jumping out at me until we went down the clearance isle and ran across a set that had a castle on it, well actually, it was princess motif.  We sat there for a few moments discussing the possibilities that this set could hold, but at that point we were both pretty tired and I was past the point of being able to make another decision.  Registry shopping is overwhelming and exhausting!  So we left and I went online the next day to look at the set and see if it could work.  Wouldn't you know, I couldn't find it in their online catalog.  So then I tried googling it and still couldn't find what I thought I remembered from the store.  Why didn't I write down the brand name or set name?  Stupid pregnancy brain!  In curiosity I then googled for anything princess and nursery.  Now, I really didn't want princesses, I was more interested in the castle because dragons and castles go together.  Then something caught my eye.



I love this set!  It's not too princessy (yes I made that word up ;) ), it has the castle that ties into the dragons, it's still pink and girly.  All of the flowers are ribbon appliqued on.  Perfect!  Now I just had to get Mike on board.  Not very hard, he tends to agree with whatever I decide I like, as long as the baby will have bedding he's cool.  Mikey likes it!  So I set off to find and register it.  First site, out of stock.  Second site, out of stock.  Third site, out of stock.  Fourth site, out of stock.  I'm beginning to sense a pattern here... please tell me they're still making it... Please tell me they're still making it.  Ah, manufactures website, go.  Discontinued!?!  Can I start pouting now?  You know I haven't had the emotional break down yet, maybe this will be my calm and cool ruin...  I could however, find sheets, the other blanket, diaper holder, and mobile.  What good will that do me if I can't get the crib set?  I even checked eBay to see if I could find it there, nothing!  Finally, I found it on Sears website through a third party seller.  They had a new set in stock!  Yes!  Ordered. Done.  Happy bubble restored :D.

Now I'm just waiting for it to arrive.  I hope it's as pretty in person as it is in all the pictures.  I'm still working on a lot of the details, but I'm thinking I will paint the walls a light pink and have the prints matted and framed in one of the other colors on the set once it gets here.  At least I finally have a direction and vision of what the nursery will look like.  So if you are reading this and want to get us something for the nursery, think more castles and dragon's than princess...  I know "princess" is a popular theme right now, but I don't want it to go too far in that direction...  Pink and flowers or whimsy is more the vibe I want to establish.  It'll be awhile before I can post pictures of the actual nursery, but this is my starting point...  Whew... One stress down.

One stress down and two up... The third trimester starts in a week!  What!?!  I thought I still had loads of time left.  Who is stealing all the time?  Give it back!  Don't make me have words with you father time, I know your holiday is coming up... EEK!

hop hop. help.

No comments:

Post a Comment