Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hop Hop... Help

I am used to being a fairly independant person.  I don't rely on others to do for me what I can do myself.  Throughout this pregnancy, I have been known to say that I'm pregnant, not an invalid.  However, this pregnancy thing has really slowed me down to the point that I now have to ask for help on things that I never thought I would (or at least never thought I would at age 29).  So maybe I am becoming an invalid...

For example, this past weekend I actually had some free time to work on getting my house ready to make space for all the baby stuff we will be needing and using.  While the organizing and cleaning part went smoothly without any hiccups, I decided now would be a great time to rearrange the funiture in my room to make it more spacious.  This included moving my bed.  I almost immediately realized that I would not be able to move this piece with the same ease as I did before pregnancy, but did that have to stop me?  Nope.  I worked it out.  I proceeded to sit on the floor and move the bed corner by corner using a pushing technique with my feet.  I was so proud of myself for thinking of an innovative way to move furniture that didn't strain my back and I didn't have to pick anything up or bend over.  Score!  Or... actually... not score.  I got my bed into place, took a break to eat dinner and quickly realized my back did not agree with my previous assessment.  Man this pregancy thing takes a toll on your body.  Everything health wise has been so smooth that it catches me off guard that I can't do everything that I want to.  Between belly and boobs my poor back has about all the weight it can reasonably handle.  And I'm supposed to get bigger?  Yikes!

Another example, Monday I get to work and our Crystal Water cooler was empty.  It's one of those that holds a five gallon jug.  Normally I would just grab a new one, but after the weekends debacle with the bed and my back, I had to decide what would be the smart thing to do.  Bend over, pick up the jug, heft it up to the proper hieght and change it?  Or swallow my pride, realize my limitations and go get someone to do this for me.  I think you all will be happy to know that I went and got a man to help... It was embarrasinig, but I have gotten to that point.  Look at me growing ~ haha!

Then yesterday, my car was car was acting up on my way to work.  I could not get it to accelerate properly and quickly realized there would be no way I would make it to Gallatin.  I pulled over and called Mike to come rescue me, which he gladly did.  Once he got there and we worked out our game plan on getting the car to the mechanic and me to work we set off.  Here is our conversation in the car:

Jen:  My knight in shiny black (he was wearing a black fleece), thanks for rescueing me!  I know you don't like getting up in the morning...
Mike: No problem, I was still up from taking Haley to school
Jen:  Well I really appreciate you coming back to Hendersonville for me
Mike: Well I can't have my kangroo out here stranded...
            hop hop.  help
            hop hop.  help

(Now, I'm sure you all know Mike and can hear him saying this to me, and his "help" was really small and pathetic sounding)

Jen:  Hahahahahaha!  I'm not that pathetic yet, am I?
Mike:  Nope, but I gotta make sure I take care of my momma kangaroo
Jen:  Well, we love you knight in shiny black
Mike: Love you too, now can I interest you in some drive through breakfast?

I guess I should have prefaced this conversation by letting you all know that Mike has been calling me his kangaroo ever since my baby bump started showing.  (Because I have a pouch with a baby in it).  While this analogy bothered me at first, I've come to really love it!  Just in case you didn't get the same mental picture of being a kangroo I mocked up the following cartoon:


I guess I should be happy that have people around me all the time who are willing to help.  I'm trying to get used to my new limitations, but it's hard to adjust.  Hopefully at some point, I'll start to enjoy being able to sit back and direct!  I hear it's a perk of being pregnant :D!

No comments:

Post a Comment