Monday, March 11, 2013

Favorite Toys at 12 Month's Old

Hiya Friends!  So we meet again!  I know I'm the squeaky broken record that always comments about how I should be doing more blogging, but really life gets busy and I'd rather live than worry about what I take the time to send into cyber space (how's that for a 90's reference to the interwebs ~ ha!).  I should document more, I should share more, I'm a bad blogger... blah blah blah.  So just know that I love you if you still checking in on us and I'll try to do better.

So today, I want to do a quick update on Sarah's favorite toys at 1 year.  The last time I did an update like this she was into completely different toys.  So here are her top 10 toys as of today...

 
1. Books - Sarah is obsessed with books!  Seriously the first thing she does every day is run to her book shelf, pick out a book and run back to you with it.  And her favorites?  You will read them over and Over, and OVer, and OVEr, and OVER again.  Yes it gets tiring and I often find myself hiding certain books that just can not read again that day.  She loves them, and if she can't find someone willing to read to her, she will sit and read them to herself.  All day, every day we read books!  Any waking hour is story time in Sarah's world. (It's actually cute, because she'll hand you a book, and if you don't respond she will sit down right in front of you and encourage you with sweet noises.) (Of course, if that doesn't work, she has been known to take it from you and shove it back into your belly and yell at you, if she feels like being sweet isn't getting the job done ~ toddlers eh?)
 
 
2. Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Learning Home - Okay, so we got this as a hand me down from Sarah's cousin who had outgrown it. Some of the pieces were missing, but a quick inquiry to fisher price and for a whopping $5.00 I got all the letters, balls, shapes, key, and door knob.  Sarah loves this thing.  She loves to crawl through the door, turn the light on and off, open and close the window and mailbox and listen to the radio that is on the back.  I love that it teaches while she plays and honestly it's not that annoying for being an electric toy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3. Playskool Poppin'Park Roll 'n Pop Express - Okay, so this little train comes with three balls that when being rolled about will pop out of engine.  Sarah doesn't really like the ball pop part of this toy so much as she loves to push it around on the floor.  She moved so quickly from crawling to walking that I think she missed out on a lot of the joys of pushing something around, so she loves to push this around.  Now I will warn you that this toy gets annoying fast.  It has a little song that it plays as well as it makes monkey sounds and it's so repetitive that when she gets to going with it, it can drive you a little crazy.
 
 
4. Hangers - Yes the child still loves to play with hangers.  I have no idea what the draw is for these.  But she gets super excited if she can get her little hands on one of these to play with.  I try to not let her take these out of her room, but they are definately a favorite to find one lying about.  You should see her face light up if I put a bunch of them on the floor while I hang her laundry.  She is in hog heaven!
 
 
 
 
5. Tupperware - Sarah has access to some of our lower cabinets.  I purposefully put things in there that she can play with.  So she loves to get into the tupperware, pull it all out and run off with one (or more as the day goes on).  There are several reason I think she likes tupperware. First, she gets to play with something of mine that I don't take away from her.  Second, she likes to practice putting the top on and off.  Third, she can pretend to drink from them like daddy does when he's finished with his cereal.  Fourth, they make good hats. And fifth, they are colorful.  I mean what else could a kid want!?

 
 
 
 
6. Rice Box - I made up a rice activity box for Sarah to play with.  She is really getting into sensory activities so I wanted to make something for her that she can squish her hands in, fill and spill different cups and containers and generally manipulate.  I went to the dollar store for most of the items I put in the box and it just so happens that it's Easter time right now, so found some carrot shaped eggs that we like to "plant" in the rice and then harvest.  I got a great tip from a YouTube vlogger to put a cheap plastic tablecloth under the box to catch any overspill, that way it's safe to play with outside because all the rice can be easily put back into the box, thus saving the birds.  I haven't been brave enough to let her play with it inside yet... but maybe when she's better at keeping it in the box we'll attempt that.
 
 
 
 
7.  Music - Okay, so not really a toy, but I have this CD/album downloaded on my phone and iPod.  When I need to distract her and get her to play by herself for a few minutes, I will play this CD/album (what do you call a former CD that is now a collection of mp3's...?) and she will happily walk around just listening to it and dancing.  She LOVES music and loves to be able to hold my phone.  So it's a win win.  I keep it locked so she can't get into it, but her picture shows up on the when she tries, so her and the baby on the phone listen to her favorite songs.  On a sidenote, the song "If You're Happy and You Know It" is her all time favorite song right now.  She knows how to do all the motions and is a favorite play activity.
 
8.  ........
9.  ........
10.  ........
 
Okay, so I totally thought I was going to do a post of her top 10 toys, but seriously, she really doesn't play with that many toys.  Not that she doesn't have a ton, because she does!  But she would seriously be happy with just her bookcase most days.  All the rest of the things listed here are a far cry from her love of books.  And I just have to go on record, (mostly because it is really bugging me...) that I really don't like to buy Sarah character things yet, i.e. the Dora book pictured above.  That was a gift from Mike's mom to Sarah but the child has worn that book out, so I couldn't not include it!  Our copy has already had the batteries replaced and had to be taped back together from where she has loved on that book just a little too aggressively.  (We also may or may not have bought a second copy of Brown Bear Brown Bear because she loved that book so much too...) And no, it's not that she's being destructive with them, she literally reads them and kisses them and totes them around everywhere and they just can't withstand her baby lovin's....
 
So yay for toys and toddlers!  What do you little toddlers love to play with at one year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment