Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Current FAQ's

So I'm sure most of you have read Mike's entry on the baby name dilema we find ourselves in.  He also mentions the repetiveness of questions we get asked by all sorts of people.  Therefore, I'm doing another FAQ that will hopefully let y'all in on a few more details about our little one:

Ooooh, you getting big.  How many months are you now?
Well again, this question depends on how long you think pregnancy is.  If you are of the 9 month mindset, we are 7.5 months.  If you are of the 10 month (40wk) mindset we are 8.25 months (33wks).

Do you have a name?
No.  We're working on it.  But I won't officially name her anything until she is born and I can look at her beautiful face. (I'm not biased already ~ haha!)  I believe a name has to fit the person, and I won't know if whatever we are leaning toward fits until I see her.

Are you excited?
Yes, I am excited and nervous.  I really can't wait to meet the little girl who has been sharing my body for the past umteen months.  I daydream about her personality and what she'll look like, who she'll become, what she'll be passionate about etc.  But I'm also still nervous to start this chapter of my life.  Oh, I think it will be vastly rewarding, but it is completely new.  But yeah, I'm excited!

Getting close, is the nursery ready?
Well, we are actually not setting up a nursery right now.  Mike and I will be moving into a house in April, and that is where we will be setting up the official nursery.  As for the current situation, I am not quite there yet.  I will have a basinet and changing table in my room along with some other miscellaneous newborn things.  But since she will only be a month and half when we move, there is no point in overcrowding my limited living space with stuff she won't need until later.  On that note, Mike is being a big help in moving all the many bins I have packed up to storage so there will be space for her when she arrives.  It's kinda funny, I keep insisting that these bins are extremely heavy, and he lifts them like they are packed with feathers...  which they so are not!  Regardless, poor thing has become my personal mover of all things bulky or heavy.  Good thing he loves me!

So do you know where you will deliver?
Yes.  We are planning (finger's crossed) to have her at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  My OB practices out of that hospital and I've had a really good experience with them.  Plus, it's rated number one for hospital births in the area.  Bonus!

Are you planning to nurse?
Kind of a personal question, I'm not used to being a completely open book with everyone I meet, but yes.  I do plan on nursing.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly and work out.  I am taking a class on this subject matter next week to be more prepared for possible obsticles.

Speaking of classes are you taking any?
Yes, as mentioned, I will be taking a class on nursing (which I need to insert a big shout out to my mom for agreeing to come with me!  I love you!) and then Mike and I will be taking a 6 week birthing class as well (you go once a week).  I have to say that I'm a little nervous about completing the course, because the last class is on Feb. 15th just 5 days before my due date.  We really are in the home stretch!

So what names are on the short list?
Really.  We don't have a name picked out.  I really really really(!) liked the name Sadie, but Mike has since veto'd it.  I had him just about convinced when he saw like 3 shows straight all with dogs named Sadie in them and he ruled it out.  I, of course, point out everytime I see a little girl named Sadie referenced anywhere, but it hasn't helped.  We are back to square one.  I would say some of the names we are considering, but I feel like it's too wishy washy to even do that.

When is your shower?
Now this is actually a good question, I have no idea.  I am hopeful to have a date worked out for it soon.  But it should be towards the end of the month.

How long are you taking for maternity leave?
I will be taking 8 weeks as of now.  I wish I could take more time, but I don't think that's a possibility at this point.  It will, of course, be hard to come back to work so soon.  But Mike will be taking care of her while I work, so it's comforting to know that she'll be with her daddy instead of in day care.  On the two days a week where our schedules overlap by about 2 hours, she'll be staying with Mike's mom right up the street from where I work.

Do you have a birth plan?
I have an idea of things I would like to happen, but I haven't written out an actual plan yet.  Our baby is quite healthy (i.e. large) so my plan is going to have to be pretty flexible when it comes down to it.  Most of what is really important to me about the birth are for after she's already here and have to do with her care.  I'll try to write a post about those things soon(ish).

And finally, How are you feeling?
Well I'd be lying if I said it was still a breeze.  Mostly I'm still doing great.  I got a little overwhelmed and emotional before Christmas.  I had a couple of embarrasing moments where I started crying and my rational brain knew it was ridiculous.  Once was at the mall on Christmas Eve, I really should've known better than to go there right before the holiday on my own.  And the second was picking out a birthday card for my big brother.  This one was truely ridiculous, as the card I read that set it off wasn't mushy or overly emotional, but there I was, in Target, crying in the card aisle.  My tearducts have a tendancy to be over active anyway (I'm that girl that cries every time I laugh, and when I get really mad, and when there's any type of allergy in the area, and any other time they feel) But now I can't trust them at all. 

But back to the point.  I'm a little front heavy at the moment.  I'm becoming aware of my belly more and more.  I misjudge where I end a lot.  It is very strange for me to sit cross legged right now because my whole lap is taken up with the belly, even that space in between my legs.  I feel like my legs are hugging her when I sit like that.  I'm also incredibly clumsy right now.  I don't know how many times a day I drop something for no reason other than my hand decides to let go.  And as much as I hate to admit this, I waddle.  It's true, I'm slow as dirt and I waddle.  Don't feel bad for me though!  I can still pick things up that I dropped, and get up and down off the floor, and I'll make it to where ever I'm going eventually.  I haven't had a lot of pain, so I still consider it mostly good.  Plus I still can sleep in between bathroom breaks, which is a super bonus!

Whoops!  True to form I forgot something.  I also have massive pregnancy brain.  I forget stuff all the time.  This is probably the most frustrating thing at the moment.  I feel like a complete ditz several times a day! 

2 comments:

  1. As you get further along, you may get the "no baby yet?" question, when the answer is totally obvious. It's kind of like in Animal House where Dorfmann walks up to the poker table and asks, "you guys playing cards?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yeah, I didn't even think about that question yet, but I'm sure I'll be getting it before too long. With her being so big, I'm sure it's right around the corner. I'll have to come up with some kind of witty response ~ thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete