Friday, February 3, 2012

Maternity Leave

Yesterday I did a post on some of our pregnancy photos from this past weekend.  I'm sure you all noticed how puffy I looked in them. While I know this is common for late pregnancy, I have been more swollen and puffy than normal.  In the week between appointments I put on 10lbs.  (I can't believe I just put that out on the internet...) My doctor came into the exam room took one look at me, asked if I was still working, I said yes, and he said I was done.  Most of that wieght gain is fluid and with her being big and pressing on everything, I needed to be laying down resting more.  He didn't want me going back Wednesday, but I think he could tell that I would go regardless, so he said I could go Wednesday, but not after that.  It came as a total shock to us, I thought I still had a couple of weeks left to finish up some stuff.  All of this was made even more complicated by the fact that the temp who is filling in for me was sick and therefore didn't start until Wednesday. So my last day was her first.

Needless to say Wednesday was crazy at work. I apologized the temp, and then threw her into the deepend.  Luckily she seemed to swim instead of sink, so that makes me feel a bit better.  There was just so much I didn't get to go over with her... Add to that my boss was out of town and didn't come back to the office until today.  And it's added up to be a stressful week. 

So back to Wednesday, my wonderful awesome amazing co-workers put together a baby shower for us.  If I get a copy of the pictures, I'll be sure to write a post about that.  Our office has never looked better.  It was heartwarming to see the effort they put into this event.  I truely feel loved by the people I work with, who I consider more friends than co-workers.  They were so so soooo generous to us!

After the shower, we had to quickly load up the cars, I finished a few last minute projects and we went straight to our birthing class.  Are you tired yet? Because going through it all again is making me tired.  Needless to say, by the time I got home Wednesday I think I was about as miserable as I've been.   I went straight to bed without passing go or collecting $200.  Everything was swollen, everything hurt, and I was just plain done.

So now I am officially on maternity leave.  It's wierd.  I got up yesterday and worked for about 5 hours on some stuff I took with me, before I realized that I was doing the exact same thing I do at work and when my feet hurt to bend and tingle when I stood, I realized I needed to stop and rest.  After all, that is the point of being on leave. So I layed down the rest of the night and after sleeping I've noticed that the swelling has gone down some, but it's still ready to pile up.  I had plans of going to the office today, but since I'm starting to recover I don't want to push it, so I'll wait till Monday.  This late pregnancy stuff is no joke!  I'm still shocked by it because it was so easy up to this point.  Oh well, just gotta keep reminding myself that it's worth it and she'll be here within the next couple weeks.

On an up note, because I've had time to just rest, I've been feeling baby girl a lot.  Now when I touch her I can feel little body parts like feet and legs.  It's pretty awesome!  Plus now I know she's doing good in there.  Before I got so busy that I wouldn't always pay attention to her moving and then panic because I thought she hadn't moved in awhile.  So we're doing good. Just resting up for the big day whenever it comes.  But that is my long drawn out description of Wednesday and why I am now on leave instead of pulling my wieght at work (I don't have a guilty conscience or anything...)  I have a fun post in mind for my next blog. I don't know if I'll get to write it tomorrow though, because we'll be busy celebrating Haley turning 12 (I can't believe she's the same 7 year old I met four and a half years ago!)  Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Actually you'll be busy giving birth, haha! I'm just now catching up.

    ReplyDelete