Monday, October 1, 2012

The missing post...

I've taken a bit of a hiatus from the ole blog lately.  Now most of the time it is not intentional, but not this time.  I have been purposefully not posting on here as a way of protecting my family.  I don't want to anger or hurt any readers, but I have to get this out.  So here it goes...

You may have seen the pictures on earlier posts of Mike and Sarah's baptism and wondered why I haven't written a post on it.  It's a huge huge milestone for both Mike and Sarah.  But honestly, it has been such a source of heartache.  You see, a week after they were baptised it was made clear to us that our family was not welcome at the church we joined.   In their words "it may not be the right place for us".

Back up, okay, for those who don't know, my mom used to work at the church where we are members.  Long story short, they decided to eliminate her position, create a new one, beg (heavily encourage) her to apply, and then hire someone else, all while she was asked to continue to do the job.  It was a really shady, hurtful ordeal.  More members than just ourselves were completely thrown hurt by the way they chose to handle the whole process.  Apparently they are going in a new direction... But that's beside the point.

Getting back on track, I did write to the head of the committee voicing my disappointment.  And in the reponse I got, it was made clear that they felt that particular church wasn't our home.  So we were ousted a week after the baptisms.  It's just such a slap in the face.  I just can't wrap my head around that kind of mentality.  Welcome to Christ's church universal!  Yay!  Now get out. 

Wait. What?!

This is also in conjuction with the fact that our wishes for Sarah's baptism were not really respected.  We wanted her to poured over and she was sprinkled, neither of us got to lay our hands on her and pray for her (Not that we don't all the time at home, but you know, we were placing her in God and the churches hands... shouldn't we lay hands on her?  And all the family were there that wanted to lay hands on her too....)  I keep trying to focus on the fact that it's not the means but the intent that matters.  It's just hard because since I was a little kid, I looked forward to the day when my baby would be baptised.  When he or she would be walked up and down the aisle and be welcomed to the fold by the church.  I always love seeing the babies and when doing the congregational part of the vows I take it very seriously.  I WILL do EVERYTHING in my power to help that child grow up to know and love Christ.  I love infant baptism's and 6th grade confirmation's.  I just do.  It's such a celebratory time!

So now, my question is, what do I (we) do?  I never thought I'd be a person who would be so hurt by a church that I am completely turned off of the whole institution.  I guess I should be thankful for the way that I can now relate to all the lost sheep who refuse to give church a try because they were hurt.  But I don't want this big ole chip on my shoulder.  And Mike was one of those people who had been hurt by a church in his past.  Now, he had found a church he liked and felt comfortable, albeit little steps at a time, and now it's done the same thing in a different way.  I guess that's why they call it a journey...  We'll find our way.  But please pray for us as we look for a church that will welcome us with open arms for the family and people that we are...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you've read through the drama of the baptism, would you like to know the positive side?  Because let's face it, baptisms are a celebration!  As mentioned, both Mike and Sarah were baptised at the same time.  Daddy/daughter baptisms, how awesome!!  My mom made Sarah's baptismal gown.  She has a real talent at making gorgeous baptism gowns and it filled my heart with joy that she made something so special for my baby girl to wear.  The bonnet she made to go with the gown didn't fit Sarah very well, but in true grandma style, she had backups.  She looked so cute in her white bonnet and gown.  Just like a little doll baby.



Just to document some highlights of the day, Sarah did great through the service for being awake the whole time.  She did try to meet various family members eyes to smile and giggle at through out the service.  Despite our best efforts to keep her quiet, a few happy coo's escaped.  But hey, I'd rather hear happy sounds than unhappy sounds.  And really, who can resist a baby's smile?  And she's generally pretty good at mimiking her current surroundings.  She'll be quiet when it's quiet, and loud when it's loud.  I guess she just gets it.  Who knows if that will hold up in the future!  But for now, she's a good baby.



Funny thing, she actually started to fall asleep right when we were called up to do the baptism, so we kinda had to wake her up to do it.  As soon as she was sprinkled and handed back to me, she settled right back down and fell asleep, until the clapping started... which made that little head snap straight up to attention until I reassured her it was okay and she went back to sleep.  She was tired from all that eye catching she was trying to do throughout the service.  Needless to say, I am thrilled beyond thrilled that Mike made a commitment to Christ and that we have formally committed Sarah to God's care.  Haley was baptised a few years ago, so now our whole family is united with God.  Our journey is far from over, but we're all on the same path.

 
After the ceremony everyone went over to my parents house for a light lunch and some fellowship.  I think Sarah could sense that her time with Aunty Bethany was coming to a close, because she insisted on sitting on her lap and having her read to her.  Through out story time, Sarah would stop and cuddle into Bethany.  It was so sweet!!  She has such a sweet nature about her!  It was great to have both Mike and I's parents together to celebrate this great milestone in all of our lives!  I think it's one of the first times his mom's been back to church in years.  In fact, she's expressed an interest in searching for a church with us when we go.  The Holy Spirit is still at work in our family, just not through the church like we were expecting.  So in closing, I just want to be clear that we don't wish any ill will toward our former church, or the people there, it is just time to move on to our next stop on our Christian walk...
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment