Monday, September 19, 2011

A Fun Frolic Into The Future

Jen and I had a conversation the other day over pancakes. We were innocently theorizing about how our unborn child would compose its personality from our own unique characteristics and what kind of combination we should expect in approximately five months. It was a mind-expanding conversation to say the least.

First, to understand the imaginary results of our findings, you must first understand who we are. And not just the two sparkling winners that all you peeps out there in blog-reader land probably know and love, but the sarcastic, flawed and wildly imperfect jesters that we tend to be when no one is looking.

So, in the interest of chivalry, we'll go ladies' first. :-)

Jen is a warm, charming and bright woman. She has a heart of pure gold and enjoys people who are considerate and polite, because she is never anything less than that to them. There is a slight bit of OCD hidden beneath the surface which adds to the "cute" factor but doesn't come off as crazy.  Jen is the curious cat that sees the small bit of thread hanging off the sweater and has to fix it. She loves board games and any type of activity that involves a group and allows for one to think outside the box. She puts a high value on ceremony and tradition, and always keeps her promises. She is a really terrible speller but has an affinity for hand-written notes. All these, in addition to those big, beautiful eyes and bright smile, are what made me fall head-over-heels in love with her four years ago today.

Our child is destined to inherit a few of these perks and qwirks, which is awesome. But when I think of what my side brings to the table, I start to worry just a touch.

My full name is Michael Shane Gill. According to most of the blood relatives who came before me, I'm mostly Irish-Italian with some other random notes tossed in for good measure. Some positives about me include a musical background, a willingness to see things through and a penchant for being very personable and unafraid to engage strangers in a conversation. I'm pretty good with numbers and patterns, and I can't stand when someone uses really awful grammar (either verbally or in text). On the other hand, I tend to not be on time. Ever. I can't seem to wake up at the correct hour and I procrastinate horribly. I tend to put off shaving every Sunday which drives Jenni nuts. I go through streaks where I swear way too much and I truly suck at keeping secrets.

Now Jenni has learned over the last 1,460 days how to work around my lesser qualities and ways to either refine my bad habits or outright ignore them. And she's really, really good at it. However, once we mix all these into a new bundle of joy, I'm somewhat petrified at the possibilities. Imagine with me, if you will.

1) A bright, charming child who sleeps all day and swears uncontrollably. Ugh... no good.

2)  A child with extreme attention to detail who can't keep a secret. I'll have to watch every word I say for the rest of my life! Hahaha... could turn out to be an awesome reporter in the long run though.

3) A musician with a heart of gold and perfect grammar. That actually sounds pretty good, seeing as how that hasn't really been done yet. :-)

There were several more possibilities we discussed at length that got crazier and more outrageous. Stuff like that makes us chuckle more than cringe, since we are going to love this child no matter what and we both share some pretty extreme senses of humor.

More in a bit.... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment