Monday, September 26, 2011

Thoughts on Pregnancy Thus Far

Well, I'm still pregnant.  Just thought I'd put that out there in case any of you were actually wondering how things are going.  We've had two appointments since my last post.  Everything is looking good and cooking right along.  We've had ultrasounds at every single one of our appointments.  I would show you the pictures from those sessions, but they are really not that great since we weren't supposed to be looking at the baby.  But our ultrasound tech, Leena, always let us take a peek since we were already in there and paying for it.  On second thought, there is one that I may put up, but I'll save it for Halloween as it's a little freaky. 

This Thursday is our 20 week ultrasound.  We are nearly half way through ~ yikes!  I guess I better knuckle down and start attacking that closet I've been meaning to clear out, and maybe start thinking about what we will need in order to take care of little one once it gets here.  On an up note, we will have the gender of the baby in hand at the end of this session, on a down note, our reveal party isn't scheduled until Oct 16th, so we won't actually know until then.  We could've found out 3 weeks ago, but I said we'd wait, much to Mike's dissatisfaction (I would've let us know, except as previously admitted to by Mike, he can't keep a secret to save his life, and it's not fair for me to know and not him).

Anyways, my thoughts on pregnancy so far:  Well I wish I had some big exciting or horror story to share with you, as nearly every woman I've come in contact with has shared one with me, but I don't.  It's been really easy for me so far. Knock on wood!  I haven't had crazy cravings or morning sickness.  I haven't turned into some ferocious monster who will bite your head off for looking at me the wrong way or started crying for no apparent reason.  All things I fully expected to happen to me as those who know me know I can be a bit extreme at times.  Actually, I think it's mellowed me out a bit.  I'm gonna miss this feeling of level headedness ~ haha!  A few gripes here and there, but even those have been more than tolerable.  Such as, I can't wait to have ankles again as mine seem to stay in a perpetual state of swollen.  Having my organs rearranged was a bit uncomfortable, but those seem to be pretty minor compared to what some women have gone through.  Maybe I'm like my mom who was built to have babies :-D.

Most exciting thing recently, is that I believe I have started to feel the baby kick!  I wasn't sure at first what I feeling as it usually happened when I was really hungry.  But I've been feeling it more frequently, so I'm thinking it's little one.  For all you men out there and women who haven't been pregnant before it feels like someone is tapping you from the inside.  Or like a band of Mexican jumping beans is putting on a concert and there is moshing involved.  Rock on little one!  Actually, I usually take this as my baby screaming "Pay Attention To Me!"  Which I try to do, really I do, but it's weird talking to your stomach.  Especially since I still look like I've had one too many doughnuts instead of pregnant.  What if someone sees me!?  "Hi, baby... I felt that... how you doin... did you like that applesauce?... I love you..."  It's just awkward.  And reading aloud is questionable as I feel like I am boring the poor little thing, "Did you know you're about 6" long? and developing rapidly now? You might be able to hear my voice..." So yeah, I'll need to practice this bonding thing a bit more.

But seriously, it is completely wonderful to feel those kicks and jabs!  Such a wonderful reminder of the work God is doing within me to knit a new life together with a unique personality, talents, and gifts.  I feel a bit in awe that I would be chosen to carry such a wonderful gift.  Only God knows the paths of this little one, but to be a part of it from the start is such an honor.  I only hope we can be good parents and teachers and raise this baby to see all the wonder and beauty of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment