Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mommy Jealousy

It seems like recently I've been reading a lot of confessions on blogs and I thought that I would follow in their footsteps and do a (brutally) honest post.

I have mommy jealousy.  It is so sad.  Really.  I know it's completely irrational and my thoughts are probably completely unfounded, but never the less I have jealousy issues when it comes to Sarah and other babies.  And just so you know, Sarah is the best baby ever born.  That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

For instance, there is another new mom that I see on a fairly normal basis.  She had a baby shortly after Sarah was born.  And, sad to say, but mommy jealousy sometimes rears it's ugly head.  When anyone asks to see pictures of her little girl and they don't ask about Sarah or ask me if I can remember Sarah being that small or making newborn noises, I want to shout "Of course I do ~ that was just last month!"  Like I get morbidly offended at the amount of time people spend gushing over another baby.  Not that Sarah isn't gushed over, because believe me she is.   And in the spirit of honesty these thoughts usually only pop up when another baby is around and Sarah is not.  Thereby making me miss her so much more!  Plus, being all proud mommy and whatnot, I want everyone to be delighted as she reaches milestones (well maybe not milestones so much as a new coo or face).  I want to show videos and bombard people with stories about her, whether the story is mildly interesting or not.  When the truth of the matter is, no one cares as much about my baby as I do (Mike being the exception).  I could spend all day, every day talking about Sarah and making speculations about what every noise and pattern could mean.  Others, think she's cute are polite in their nods and interests, but they don't want to talk about her 24/7.  What's wrong with these people!?!  Sarah is the cutest and smartest baby ever born! (I told you I am completely irrational and have very biased opinions) 

I probably shouldn't write a post about this as I'm opening myself up to lots and lots of criticism and judgement, but in the spirit of honesty, there are times when I have to check myself.  There have been times when I want to run to the bathroom and cry over why no one cares about my sweet girl (I know! Irrational and completely untrue!)  But then I think about it and would hate if other moms ran to the bathroom when I talk about Sarah because they think I don't care about their child.  These are just some of the dark and twisty thoughts that sometimes creep through my head.  I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or if every moms feels like this about their child.  But I do know that I don't want to feel like this and pray about it when a mommy jealousy streak strikes.  I have shared this with Mike and Bethany and they both just laughed at me and rolled their eyes.  I know I'm ridiculous, but c'mon ~ Sarah's awesome!  End of story.

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely not anything out of the ordinary my dear Jenni. I think most mothers probably feel this way from time to time and anyone who would criticize you over this post is ridiculous. The fact is, any good mother feels like their little one is the most amazing person ever to exist simply because that is what we are designed to feel. That's why we are mothers. Your little Sarah is beautiful and I want you to know that I love reading about her and seeing the pictures and videos you share. I wish I could meet her. Anyway, that is just my two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete