Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sarah Tries Solid Foods

Okay, here's a fun little bloggy blog.  Sarah has officially tried solid foods ~ yikes!  I really wanted to wait until she was older, but I also told myself from the start that I wouldn't set hard developmental dates or timelines.  At her 4 month check up the doctor said it was up to us if we wanted to start her on solids.  She is still only eating about 5-6oz at a feeding.  She's never drank a full 8 oz in one go.  Plus she's been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks, so obviously she's getting all the nutrition that she needs.  But the doctor also mentioned that we have a very smart girl on our hands.  She said most 4 month olds are not as aware of the world around them as Sarah is.  And seriously, yo, the girl is on top of it!  So I mentioned to the doctor that Sarah seems really interested in people food.  She watches us eat, opens her mouth when we take a bite and can get pretty fussy if she's not eating too. The doctor chalked that up to her being so aware of her envirnment and not a sign that she's ready.  But, she said if we wanted to give her some cereal that we could try it once or twice a week. And gradually introduce veggies and fruits.


Well, that news made me thrilled (I was so sure that she was going to tell us to start solids regardless)!  I am in no hurry for her to grow up.  She's growing and changing so much as it is!  Anyway, her doctors appointment was on Tuesday, and on Thursday we were over at my mom's house for a family dinner.  After dinner we had some homemade peach cobbler.  Yummo!  Well Sarah, in true Sarah form, watched me eating my dessert.  She watched every spoonful with baited attention.  So when I was finished I thought I'd play with her a bit and put my spoon up to her mouth just to see what would happen. Now, again, there was NO food on the spoon, but I'll be darned if her little mouth didn't open and she mimiked eating.  I did this a couple of times with the same result.  Okay, so confession, one time there was a spot of melted icecream on the back of the spoon ~ you know like when your spoon is resting in the bowl and theres that little tiny spot.  Well she licked that spot and started smacking her lips.  She hasn't smacked her lips since she was newborn and wanted to eat.  But, she was very clearly telling us that she wanted to try people food... and I just opened the door for her to know it was coming.  Oh! And we are trying to teach her baby sign and I swear she was trying to do the sign for "more".  Again, smart baby!


So I went to the store and bought her the little bowls and spoons and some organic rice cereal.  I was shaking my head the whole time, because I really don't want her to be ready yet, but she was telling me she was ready...  After I got them home and cleaned up, I was showing Mike her eat reflex with the empty baby spoon, and she lunged right for it.  Then she started smacking her lips again.  So I put a drop of water on there so she would think she's getting something and she took it like a pro... *sigh... I guess it really is time.  So this past Sunday on June 10th we made some baby food for her to try.  I fed her a 4oz bottle and an hour later, after a short cat nap, we introduced her to cereal.  Here is the video of that first feeding:



So it didn't go exactly like I thought, I think she may need more practice and time.  But it let me relax a bit because she's not going to be demanding cereal now (which was a fear on mine).  But maybe once a week or every other week we'll let her sample cereal.  I hope you enjoyed the video.  There is also a part two to this that is on my facebook, but somehow I managed to delete it from the video camera so it's only on facebook and I don't know how to get it anywhere else to share it.  So if you're my friend, you can check it out there, if you're a vistor to the blog who's not my facebook friend, sorry charlie.  Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment