Thursday, June 7, 2012

Those Things That Make Her... Her

So many blogs, so little time...  All babies are unique and have their own personalities and quirks.  You know, those things that make her... her and not someone else.  So today let's talk about car rides.

Sarah hates car rides.  HATES them!  It's so funny because I try to make it home before Sarah's bedtime so we can do our nightly routine, but sometimes we cut it close.  Inevitably, when it's one of those situations where Sarah is tired and I say we have to leave I get the same comment: "As soon as you start the car, she'll fall right to sleep". At which point I usually smile politely and don't comment... because no one believes that not all babies like the car.  In fact when Sarah is tired is when car rides can spiral out of control and stay that way.  Let me clarify,she doesn't like them anytime, but she's less equipped to handle them when she's sleepy.

Now I have never pulled the car over to soothe her when she's throwing a fit. I've been trying to teach her that just because she can't see me, doesn't mean I'm not still there (she does great if someone is in the backseat with her... most of the time).  So I talk to her, sing to her, pat her head.  Anything I can think of to reassure her without stopping the car.  Why? Because I don't want Screaming = Mommy Stops Car.  Of course, if there is a reason to stop, I will. Like if she gets sick or is hurting or something...  but usually it's just her throwing a fit.  And through this trial and error I've figured it out.

My view of Sarah in car.
(The car was already parked when I took this picture)
Sarah NEEDS two things in the car to be happy, or er tolerant.  She needs her paci and to hold hands.  Yup, I'm that mom rolling down the street with my arm cocked at the weirdest angle because my daughter needs to be holding my hand.  Sometimes she needs a finger for each hand, sometimes she needs for me to hold one hand, either way, she's happy with a hand. A lot of times she'll pull my hand to her face so I'm touching her in 3 places.  I let her decide.  But that is the trick.  The kid loves skin!

So here's what I do: I clip her paci tether thing to her car seat so I can find it one handed.  Then when we start going I wait to see how long she can go without fussing (I'm giving her room to adjust and be okay on her own).  Then when the tears start, I give her the paci and my hand.  (Side note: I hate trying to find her mouth when driving, I feel like I'm randomly patting her face until I find it, usually when she starts licking me.)  Anyway, we ride like this until we get to where we are going or she falls asleep.  There are times when I have to let go and pull my hand back for safety reasons, such as it's a tricky road to navigate or blind curve, safety comes first. But depending on the length of removal she may or may not be okay.  Also Lord help me if she does fall asleep and then wakes up in the car... that's a cry storm that won't stop until she's out of the car, in where ever we're going, and out of her seat. 

But this is the stuff that makes her Sarah.  My Sarah. And I wouldn't change it about her.  No 30 minute screaming car ride would make me want to change her (okay it might pass through my mind briefly... but I still wouldn't want it to be different). She's a social baby, never wants to be alone. This includes car rides, so we hold hands. My arm may be on fire and start to lose feeling, but if her little fingers squeeze tighter, I'm not letting her go.  I love my sweet girl and would do anything for her!  So I do what works for her :D. Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment